The Museum is a special place to learn about and enjoy sculpture, thanks to the originality of its art collections, which make the Museum one of the leading museums of its kind in Europe.
These collections are comprised of two main cores: religious works in polychrome wood (13th to 18th century) and artistic copies (19th and 20th century) from the now closed National Museum of Artistic Reproductions.
The Museum also aspires to understand and convey the personality of its main building, the Collegiate Church of San Gregorio, the sum of its architectural merit and its role in the history of Spanish religious culture.
The Episcopal Museum of Vic, founded in 1891, conserves a magnificent collection of medieval art with paintings and sculpture from the Catalan Romanesque and Gothic periods. The collections of precious metals, textile, foundry, glass and ceramics offer a complete journey through the history of liturgical and decorative art in Catalonia.Visit website
The Museu Frederic Marès is a unique collecting museum that preserves the collections assembled by its founder, sculptor Frederic Marès (1893-1991), which came to form part of the patrimony of the city of Barcelona through his donation in 1946. Two years later, this museum was inaugurated in a part of the old Royal Palace of the Counts of Barcelona in the heart of the Gothic Quarter. Its original Verger or courtyard garden, still remains intact.
Frederic Marès turned sculpture into something beyond his artistic calling. Throughout his lifetime he amassed an extensive Hispanic sculpture collectionwhich ranged from the ancient world until the 19th century, in which religious polychromed carvings predominated. This now makes up the most uniform section of the museum. Marès also donated part of his own sculptural oeuvre, which is on display in his Library-study.
The Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya is located in the Palau Nacional of Montjuïc, constructed for the International Exposition of 1929. In 1934 it opened its doors as the Museu d'Art de Catalunya, bringing together the medieval collection. Subsequently, in 1995, then as the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, the new rooms of Romanesque art were inaugurated, and in a successive way the public presentation of the collection was extended, a process that ended in 2004 with the integration of modern art.Visit website