The Museum Schnütgen presents its first exhibition on the subject of photography. It follows the view of the Frankfurt photographer Alfred Tritschler (1905-1970) on the collection. Long unnoticed, a surprise find lurked among the photographs preserved by the Museum Schnütgen: a collection of photographic prints by Tritschler from 1948. For many years the photographer Alfred Tritschler was a partner in the Frankfurt picture agency Dr. Paul Wolff & Tritschler, which was highly successful during the 1930s and 1940s.
A few years after the Second World War, Tritschler photographed selected works of art from the Museum Schnütgen with his Leica camera. These pictures are quite different from documentary object photography. The photographer staged the sculptures with a subjective glance in suggestive “portraits” and found his own artistic expression for these motifs. His photographs invite one to rediscover the artworks.
For the first time, more than 80 original prints are presented in the museum's special exhibition hall, along with a selection of the works of art photographed by Tritschler.